Description & Input

If it fits amazing, caught my eye, is delicious, improves my well-being, saves me money, is useful or I just love and obsess over it I want you to know about it and reap the benefits, too. My musings may just help improve your quality of life!







Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Get Growing!

Last year I didn't plant vegetables until the beginning of June.  At that time, I planted small plants and hoped they would provide me with a reasonable harvest.  They did not.  By the time my, one or two, peppers started getting larger, and my measly cucumber became a couple bites worth it was September and the sun had moved for the season leaving my finally flourishing veggies shaded and cool.  This will not happen to me this year!

On a warm day this past February I decided it was time to take action.  My plan was to successfully grow the vegetables I buy the most and do so inexpensively.  Taking the shortcut and buying small plants was not an option.  So, a week ago today I planted cucumbers, radishes, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, green beans, bell peppers, and snap peas in little peet cups that will serve as fertilizer when I plant them directly into my garden next month.  Delightfully, I already have some little sprouts!  The weather has been amazingly warm and sunny this past week so I have been able to keep my little ones outside during the day to reap all the benefits of the sun.  At night, since they are just on a cookie sheet (thanks to my co-worker, Kim, for that tip), I bring them inside and put them on the stove.  Yes, the stove.  Naturally, you would think I would put them on the counter but last year my husband, Kris tried to start some seeds on the counter and windowsill and our three little kittens nearly lost their residency because they nibbled all his sprouts while we slept.

Now is the perfect time to start your garden and do it economically.  With a few peet cups, bag of seed starter soil, seeds of your choice, cookie sheet, and a couple of minutes you can be on your way to a summer of fresh, homegrown vegetables.  Include your kids in the process.  They'll love getting dirty, watching the magic of growing things they planted, and most of all, eating veggies they grew and harvested!  I can't think of many things more satisfying and delightful than watching tiny seeds in dirt become green shoots and then food.

No comments:

Post a Comment