Description & Input

If it fits amazing, caught my eye, is delicious, improves my well-being, saves me money, is useful or I just love and obsess over it I want you to know about it and reap the benefits, too. My musings may just help improve your quality of life!







Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy, Healthy, & Delicious!

You don't have to be vegan, vegetarian, organic, raw, or whatever to eat healthy.  In fact, the previously mentioned dietary lifestyles can be VERY unhealthy without the proper knowledge.

Recently I came across the cookbook "The Happy Herbivore Cookbook".  Is it a vegan cookbook?  Yep.  Does it contain delicious recipes for anyone trying to put healthier side dishes on the table or have one or two vegetarian dinners a week?  Absolutely!  I mentioned this find to my cousin and to my delight, she already had it.  That got me thinking about my "Veganomicon" cookbook collecting dust on my shelf.  It's considered the bible (or encyclopedia, if you prefer) of vegan cookbooks.  It's introduction is almost a textbook lesson in food and nutrition, therefor, more than providing me with delicious meat and dairy free recipes, it taught me the importance of supplementing and substituting.

So, if you're looking to switch things up this year and throw in a few low-fat dinners throughout the week I highly recommend these two cookbooks.  Maybe your burger and french fries night will become southwestern black bean burgers with baked herb hash browns and tangy green beans.  It won't kill anyone to try something new and shine a delicious light on foods that may otherwise go untried.  And don't forget, kids are AWESOME helpers in the kitchen.  If they make it, they'll eat it...probably ;o).


No comments:

Post a Comment